There are many controversies about socks. The older generation believes that you should never go barefoot all year round, otherwise, you will have dirty feet and easily get sick, cold will hurt your body, and when you grow up, you will have various problems such as cold womb. However, parents of the younger generation don’t like to wear socks, so they don’t want to wear socks for their children.
Socks have a long history. In the past 3000 years, various changes have taken place in form and material. The main functions of socks are those three: beauty, warmth, and protection. The first one belongs to the fashion editor, let’s talk about the last three.
All those who insist that children wear socks are based on this reason: the feet are the most cold-feared in the body, and they get sick when they are cold, so they must wear socks. Socks can insulate air convection and avoid direct contact between feet and the ground to prevent sweat from evaporating and absorbing heat directly. It is indeed very effective in keeping warm. But the question is, are your feet really afraid of being cold enough to need socks to keep you warm all year round?
Why people always feel that their feet are afraid of the cold? In addition to walking and supporting, the feet also have another function like many other mammals: heat dissipation. The soles of the feet are the densest part of the human sweat glands, sweating constantly, and then volatilizing heat, so that the human body can maintain a normal body temperature. People in Africa and South America have not seen what socks are for thousands of years. It is estimated that they would have heatstroke when their feet were wrapped up by the socks. Therefore, whether it is in the summer or in the winter where the air-conditioning and heating room is turned on, if you insist the child should wear socks, it will only reduce the child's ability to dissipate heat and adjust the body temperature, and bring hidden dangers of heatstroke or other related diseases.
It is possible that if the feet are cold, the human body is irritated, and it becomes easy to cough, sneeze, and runny nose. But if the feet were cold when I was a child, so I grew up with cold womb, rheumatism, etc., there is no research data to support it at all. Japanese children have been running barefoot all over the floor since childhood, but the incidence of rheumatism is not higher than ours.
Even if data support is not required, using the favorite "reasonable derivation" method of traditional customs, just enumerate the characteristics of the foot and calculate whether it should be cold, and you will find a bug:
- The natural job of feet is to stick to the cold ground;
- The feet are the body parts farthest away from the vital organs of the human body: the heart and the brain;
- The feet are the most important part of the human body for actively dissipating heat.
Of course, this is not to say that the feet do not need to be kept warm at all. Like other parts of the human body, the feet also need to be kept warm. Because of the characteristics of the feet, it is indeed prone to frostbite in low-temperature environments. Especially people with poor blood circulation or poor body temperature control, such as the elderly and babies, these people need to pay more attention to heat preservation to prevent frostbite. But this has nothing to do with the rumors that the feet are afraid of cold. Ears, noses, and hands are also susceptible to frostbite. Do you believe that if the ears are not kept warm, they are prone to cold womb?
As for the heat preservation of babies' feet, for babies under 2 years old, their body temperature control ability is not perfect, so they need more clothes to coordinate. This means that when the weather turns cold, you need to wear an extra piece of clothing and socks to keep warm. But on the contrary, in a hotter environment, babies need to wear less and take off their socks to help dissipate heat.
Regarding how babies use socks, the following is what we recommend parents to pay attention to:
- Because your feet are prone to sweating, so on a smooth floor like floor tiles, socks can have the function of anti-skid and prevent falling. Of course, if your home is carpeted or tatami, please skip this sentence;
- Wearing socks that are too tight or for a long time will cause poor blood circulation. Adults know how uncomfortable it is to wear socks to sleep, So don’t wear socks for your children 24 hours a day. It is more effective to adjust the room temperature and use quilt items flexibly;
- For young babies, because their self-temperature regulation is immature, they need to increase or decrease clothes more significantly. When adults feel hot, they should wear lighter and thinner clothes for their children, let alone wear socks; adults feel cool, children should wear more than adults, so put on socks;
- For older babies, such as those over 2 years old, they are more mature in controlling their body temperature, so they can spend less time wearing socks, and they can be consistent with their parents;
- Each baby's body temperature regulation is different. Mom and dad should flexibly increase or decrease clothes and socks. The simplest and roughest method is: take off your socks when sweating, and add socks when the bare feet are cold;
- People with sweaty feet or socks in damp areas can easily become a hotbed of bacteria. Remember to change socks frequently, otherwise, they will be prone to skin diseases.
Feet cannot be the coldest place in the human body. Socks can prevent slipping or frostbite, but they cannot be worn every day of the year. Cold feet can make some people feel uncomfortable, but there is no reason for children to grow up and get strange diseases.